The 1&1 experience started off well, but when I had trouble uploading new files, that experience slowly began to sour and eventually resulted in the sort of customer service battle that I usually hear other people involved in.
I ended my [approximately] 2 year relationship with 1&1 webhosting in October 2012 after developing a problem using their Control Panel -- for the third time.
The first time, there was a Control Panel upgrade, and technical support was good enough to walk me through accessing my files via a work-around into the "old" control panel. Inconvenient, but do-able.
The second time that I had a problem accessing/uploading files, tech support advised that I was using a newer version of Mozilla than they were compatible with. I had to switch off some add-ons; again inconvenient, but do-able.
In September 2012, I was unable to access my files through Control Panel using either IE9 or Mozilla. I ended up with the screen: System Requirements The system requirements are not met for this application!
I emailed tech support: "I get this using these two browsers:
IE 9.08112.16421 (active scripting enabled)
So, what is the solution? I forgot to advise them my monitor was set to 1920x1080. I am not a computer genius, but I failed to understand why the monitor resolution had anything to do with it. They wrote back and told me to change the monitor setting to 1024x768, which I did, accomplishing nothing.
Over the next week or so, I was able to access files on a very sporadic basis, perhaps 10% of the times I tried, which makes it difficult maintaining a website and its blog page!
I resolved to change webhost providers, did some research, changed my 1&1 payment option from PayPal to credit card (just in case! more on this later), and signed on with a new provider about two weeks before my 1&1 contract expiration in October 2012.
Once the domain changed over, I attempted to cancel 1&1 by email, but was advised to call one of two numbers 24/7 to "verify" the cancellation. It turns out the number I really needed to call to cancel the "account" was NOT 24/7. However, my time being just as valuable as theirs, I informed the other Customer service department that I was verifying the cancellation as instructed: Cancel the account, and do not bill me for 6 more months. In a couple of days, my access to the 1&1 control panel was deactivated, and I figured it that was that.
Wrong. A few days before my account was to officially expire, I received an email billing notice for the next 6 months, which would occur automatically in a few days. This touched off a brief but intense email battle (at least someone was there responding on a Saturday!) that got me nowhere.
So the following Monday, I call again, spell it out as slowly and as calmly as I could to the rep: Account closed, do not bill (too late); however, her Supervisor would reverse it (which did occur in roughly two weeks). I give the rep immense credit for dealing with me and getting the matter taken care of in one relatively short phone call.
Ironically, I still get the "stats" for my website via email. I wonder how long that will haunt me!